Pages

12.12.2011

Easy Conversation: Ntjam Rosie


A beautiful and gifted songstress whose vocals can only be can only be rivaled by her impeccable style, Rotterdam based singer Ntjam Rosie has been under our radar for a while now. The singer who draws inspiration from people like Jill Scott, João Bosco, Madonna -and  many more- is also an accomplished songwriter as  her latest LP 'elle' proved.
We had a chat and it went a little something like this...
Tell us a little bit about yourself, who is Ntjam Rosie?
I am a singer and a songwriter based in The Netherlands. I have been living here since I was a kid and therefore consider myself a Dutch African (Cameroonian) young woman.
I was born in 1983. Music is my life. I perform it, teach it, compose it, sing it, eat it, and breathe it.

Growing up, what did you want to be? 
I wanted to be so many things when I was a kid!! A photographer,philosopher, danser, choreographer, painter, stylist, manager of a cool clothing store, writer, poet, an athlete, an actress...Music was always there, but not in a serious way. Even though I have been singing since I was 14. My parents always thought school was more important. So I somehow did not seriously consider a singing career for myself. I did not have a big voice, it was cute, but not special at the time. One thing was sure though. I would end up in the entertainment business one way or another. That is something I always knew. I also knew my own style would grow and that I would be sharing it with the world.  

Describe your creative process, what/who inspires you? 
I get inspired by life. My faith in God and his spiritual guidance has a big part in my creative process if not the biggest. Music is one of the holiest things we have here on earth. Therefore I like to make music that is positive, peaceful, cathartic, that heals, feeds and cleanses the soul. So I observe people around me, situations. Life lessons from others can inspire me to write. Not only my own life is a guideline for me. And sometimes the lyrics come first and then the chords or melody. But it can also be the other way around. I pray for the spirit to guide me through the process, and I trust in that. It has never let me down.  

What is your personal philosophy? 
I am a supporter and believer of originality. Try to bring something new to the table by simply being who God meant for you to be. It's a very simple philosophy. Connect with  him, the creator, and find out who you are. There is only one you! So please be yourself.

How would you define your style? 
My style is colourful, funky, edgy and very classy at the same time. Above all, my style is my own. I own my style. As an artist it is important for me to have more outlets than music alone to express myself. And one of those outlets is fashion. I love to get crazy funky, super vintage classy, or avant-garde , whatever suits the moment and my mood. I am impulsive with my style.

What projects are you working on these days?
At the moment I am focussed on touring clubs in Holland with my album "elle". For dates please visit my website. Next to that I am getting ready for my next album. Yes, new material!! I am writing a lot on the guitar. I am also taking guitar lessons to improve my playing. Other than that I teach, I am a vocal coach. So I am quite busy with music and I'm loving it!

What's playing in your Ipod these days? 
Aaliyah, Aretha Franklin, Asa (Asha), Beyoncé, Billie Holiday, Candi Staton, Chopin, Chrissette Michelle, The Clark Sisters, Coldplay, Corrine Bailey Rae, Debra Laws, Deniece Williams, Destiny's Child, Djavan, Esperanzah Spalding, George Benson, George Duke, Gretchen Parlato, Hillsong Live, Hindi Zahra, Nneka, Jamie Woon, Jill Scott, João Bosco, José Gonzales, Kate Walsh, KING, Lizz Wright, Madonna, Marvin Gaye, Michael Kiwanuka, Mings Pretty Heroes, Minnie Ripperton, Nina Simone, Quadron, Sara Tavares, Sensual, Somi,The Clark Sisters, Vanessa Carlton, Syreeta.
I always have it on shuffle, so everything passes by ;-)

NTJAM Rosie elsewhere...

1 commentaire:

Audrwey a dit…

À quand les Easy Conversations publiées sur papier?

Audrwey